Vita Talalay: Certifications and Specifications
The Vita Talalay latex foam that makes up our Savvy Rest Vita Talalay mattresses has many qualities that make it a stand-alone product among its natural latex and chemical foam counterparts. Here we'll describe the stringent certifications it has undergone in order to be considered not only safe, but a trusted and sought-after natural product. We'll also describe the physical qualities of natural Vita Talalay latex, so that you can get a sense of the capacities it has for offering support during the times we need it most—during sleeping hours and times of rest.
GREENGUARD Gold*, Oeko-Tex ® Standard 100, Cradle-To-Cradle GOLD, Rainforest Alliance, Eco-Institut and FSC Certified
GREENGUARD Gold Certification
Resthouse's supplier, Savvy Rest, has achieved GREENGUARD GOLD Certification for their organic mattresses, pillows, and mattress toppers. GREENGUARD-Certified products must meet stringent standards for low chemical emissions into indoor air. GOLD-level certification includes additional requirements for vulnerable populations, such as children and the elderly.
*Savvy Rest mattress products, containing Vita Talalay latex foam, are GREENGUARD Gold certified. Savvy Rest production facilities also hold GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certification.
Oeko-Tex ® Standard 100 Certification
The OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 is an independent testing and certification system for raw, intermediate and end textile products. Savvy Rest's Dunlop and Talalay latex suppliers meet the rigorous Oeko-Tex standards.
Cradle-To-Cradle GOLD Certification
Radium Foam, the supplier for Vita Talalay natural latex and Savvy Rest's natural latex foam mattresses, works with the Environmental Protection Encouragement Agency(EPEA) to achieve eco-efficacy with the Cradle-to-Cradle philosophy, which evaluates products according to health impact, materials re-use, renewable energy, water stewardship, and social fairness. Savvy Rest's natural Talalay has achieved Cradle-to-Cradle GOLD certification.
Rainforest Alliance Certification
Rainforest Alliance certification is responsible for encompassing all three pillars or sustainability- Social, economic and environmental.
Rainforest Alliance certifies Vita Talalay for its biodiversity conservation, improved livelihoods and human wellbeing, natural resource conservation and the effective planning and farm management system.
Natural Vita Talalay® Latex also fulfills the Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 product class 1, in which it fulfills the ecological requirements for baby goods.
Learn more about Eco Institut in this link.
FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Certification
The FSC™ certification ensures that the complete chain of custody is managed responsibly throughout the entire production process: from the seed to the mattress, topper or pillow. This allows for the whole production process to be both completely transparent and traceable.
What do these certifications mean, in laymen's terms?
Savvy Rest organic Vita Talalay latex mattresses are:
- Safe for the most vulnerable, including infants, the elderly, and those with chemical sensitivities.
- Sustainable: products are Cradle-to-Cradle GOLD certified, meaning that they are created as part of a sustainable system, saving water, remaining environmentally conscious, and thinking long-term. The Vita Talalay mattress is recyclable and reusable, and will return to the earth at the end of its life cycle with minimal environmental impact.
- Free of chemicals that are "known or suspected to cause cancer, birth defects, genetic damage or reproductive harm." (c2ccertified.org)
Quality and Comfort
What does Vita Talalay feel like? In addition to its stringent certifications, Vita Talalay natural foam latex is also known for its "angel food cake like" consistency. It both looks and feels like the insides of this famous convection. In mattress form, Vita Talalay comes in firm, medium and soft densities.
- Contents of each mattress layer are consistent, a light, cream-white colour (indicative of its high content of pure latex), purposefully perforated and visibly free of large bubbles or pockets.
- Longevity: mattress has a lifetime of up to 20 years - that's around the same timeline as 3 or more conventional petroleum-based foam mattresses.
- Springy and light, it provides a responsive feel when rested upon.
- It is breathable, and will not accumulate moisture over time or encourage you to sweat while asleep.
- Because of these properties, it is unlikely that environmental impurities such as dirt and dust mites will have an opportunity to penetrate into the foam's interior.
- Human and eco-friendly: does not emit any harmful VOCs that will be released into the environment or be absorbed into your skin.
The well-rounded certification standards undergone and passed by Vita Talalay latex make it a trustworthy investment for your bedding ensemble. With its lifetime of up to 20 years, its proven material clarity and safety, it will be a product that will remain with you for many years, after which it may be recycled, re-purposed or returned to the earth. Its small environmental footprint and implications for health, both in its material content and the comfort it offers, will allow you peace of mind and a peaceful sleep for years to come.
Resthouse Sleep Solutions
126 Station Street, Duncan, BC, Canada V9L 1M7